Red Beans & Rice is one of the most iconic Cajun recipes out there, but did you know it is also one of the most simple recipes?
There is some time involved, but it is definitely one of those recipes you can set and forget (for the most part). And if you’re on a budget, it can be one of the least expensive meals in your arsenal as well!
The ingredients can be as few or as many as you’d like. I typically keep it rather simple, but sometimes I like to add a little flare to mine… because why not?
This post is short and sweet because, well, this IS called “Easy Red Beans & Rice.” So here goes!
Easy Red Beans & Rice... in the Crock Pot!
- Crock Pot
- Rice Cooker
- 1 lb Large Red Kidney Beans
- 3 cups White Rice
- 1 Yellow Onion
- Cajun/Creole Seasoning to taste
- 2 links Smoked Sausage sliced or quartered
- Soak dried beans overnight in a large bowl with enough water to cover the beans, plus about 2 inches.
- In the morning, drain the beans and place in Crock Pot.
- Dice yellow onion and add to the beans.
- Cover the beans with lots of water, aiming for at least 3-4 inches above the beans.
- Add your seasoning. I like mine to be a little spicy, so I sprinkle my Tony Chachere's seasoning quite liberally. I cover the entire top of the water with seasoning, then go back about half way (I know, this is an interesting way of measuring LOL... One day I'll figure out how much that actually equals).
- Set to cook on High in your Crock Pot for 12 hours.
- About 10-11 hours into cooking, take a wooden spoon and mash some of the beans against the side. This will help to make them super creamy!
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, add your sausage to the beans.
- Cook your rice according to package directions.
- Serve beans and sausage spooned over rice.